Monday 13 March 2017

Social media: Why I use it and what it means to me

Image from Pixabay


Contacts

One of the first tips I was told as a student journalist is to make sure my social media is up to scratch; constantly updated, chat with industry professionals online, remove old or inappropriate posts and follow the people that you aspire to be like or who has your dream job. This is probably the best advice I've been told. Since posting professional content, I've seen an increase in activity, with followers from industry professionals and a bigger following on my blog. Building contacts is good in any profession and you never know what you'll get from following someone on Twitter or commenting on someone's Instagram post.

News

Social media has changed the way in which traditional news platforms report news. Most people now see stories first on Facebook, especially if they follow any news outlets on there, but even through shares, likes and comments. Newspapers are now providing digital content for the majority of their stories; political, entertainment, business or just general news, helping more people than ever become interested in news. Over 80% of people now source their news online and social media has been the biggest influence on that number, especially in generating more people, who wouldn't have before, to read news.

Family

Keeping in contact with my family is so important to me, especially as my family live all over the UK and since my Uncle moved over to Madrid. Social media completely changed the way I chat to my family and friends, with it being so easy to keep in touch, see what people are up to and message them. From double-tapping pictures and videos on Instagram to liking status's on Facebook and messaging each other, I feel closer than ever to my family who I may not see as often as I'd like... simply down to the introduction of social media!

Trends

Similarly to news outlets, trending stories have completely changed the way that news is now provided. Whether it's a trending hashtag on Twitter to a story on Facebook, trends are purely there because so many people are talking about a certain topic. It now takes just seconds to open an app and see what's going on; a killer speech at the Grammys, important election results, the latest sports scores or even a pregnancy reveal!

Job Opportunities

Social media isn't just about checking in with your friends and having a laugh. As I've made my way through university, I've realised how important social media accounts are in reflecting your brand, personality and enthusiasm when it comes to future careers. Creating a professional Facebook and Twitter account helped my following and got me in touch with people I wouldn't have dreamed about speaking to before and creating a LinkedIn account is certainly the best thing I could have done while looking for job opportunities. Don't hold back when it comes to getting your name out there and showing your skills off!


Check out this post for tips on how to transform your social media:

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Amie Rhone. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig