Wednesday 24 June 2015

Beaches, bellinis and books



I don't know about you but when it comes to summer, I just can't stop reading. Relaxing in the sun with a cold cocktail and great novel is the perfect way to unwind. On holiday especially, I can easily get through a book a day and always make sure I take enough with me (which usually means buying an extra couple at duty free).

So, in preparation for my holiday (5 weeks and counting, yay!), here's my pick of the best girly holiday reads:


1. The Sunrise by Victoria Hislop

I have been a huge Victoria Hislop fan since I read 'The Island'. The sense of time and place draws you in to the setting and the story seemed to move me; I didn't want the book to end.
In 'The Sunrise', Hislop again entices the reader and takes you back to 70's Cyprus; this novel will definitely grab your attention. A tale of community troubles and love, this fascinating read gives a truly detailed insight into a conflict that isn't often spoken about. An intelligent and beautifully written novel once again.



2. The Lemon Grove by Helen Walsh

Set in Mallorca, this novel grips the reader with desire and passion. The descriptive writing from Walsh gives a brilliant sense of atmosphere and lust; you'll find yourself racing through this book at the same speed of the fully-charged plot. A very intelligent take on a modern marriage, with sexual tension evident in every aspect of the book. My top pick for a holiday read; you'll see this novel everywhere by the pool!


3. In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume

A deeply moving, fictional novel which revolves around the real-life series of airplane crashes that took place in New Jersey from 1951-1952. Blume focuses the story on a young girl, Miri, who is in the centre of the event. She experiences love and pain throughout, showing that growing up in such circumstances can show the next generation that life will go on. As the story proceeds, we meet a lot of the community and see how their lives entwine; in a story of love, loss and friendship. An unforgettable novel that will reassure you.


4. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

I am not usually a thriller reader but with everyone talking about this novel, I thought I would give it a go. And I'm definitely not disappointed. 
Rachel is not your typical main character. She has many flaws which leave her longing to be wanted and loved, that is until the story she has created between two strangers becomes a real-life nightmare which she becomes involved in.
This wonderful, well-written journey is a real heart-racer. The debut novel from Hawkins is outstanding - a must read this summer!


5. Royal Wedding by Meg Cabot

Growing up reading 'The Princess Diaries', I can't wait to see what this novel has to offer. Cabot returns with the 11th book in the series, and the first to be aimed at an adult audience.
Princess Mia Thermopolis of Genovia has her hands full; wedding planning, helping her Father, running a community centre and now, having to hide from not only the press, but a stalker!
Will the wedding go to plan? Or will Grandmere ruin everything?
I can't wait to find out...






SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Amie Rhone. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig