Monday 10 April 2017

What I'd do differently... looking back at university



I'm nearly at the end of my undergraduate degree, to be precise, I only have 46 days left! It's flying by.

Over the past couple of months, I have really started to get on top of my work load, more than I ever did in first or second year. I don't know if it's because the work is ten times more stressful or I am really aiming for a good grade but I'm definitely more organised and more determined than ever to finish university with pride and a great sense of accomplishment.

I have had such a good three years at the University of Gloucestershire and although I won't be taking up journalism as a full-time career, I hope to still be writing my blog and occasional pieces once I'm fully immersed into teaching. The course has been brilliant and has helped me develop a whole array of skills that I may not have from any other; interviewing, confidence in presenting, social media presence as well as improving my writing.



Although I have thoroughly enjoyed the course and the university, there are a few things that if I could go back, I would probably change. For anyone thinking of going to university or just finishing your first year, you might find these tips beneficial or just enjoy reading about my experiences.

The first thing I would probably suggest I'd have done differently is that I would have participated in more work experience. In my first year, I did one week's work experience at a local newspaper, which was brilliant as it gave me more confidence but looking back, I should have definitely done more. This year as part of a module, I have completed 16 days work experience at three different companies where I have learned so much from industry professionals; picking up tips and techniques, learning new things, meeting new people and just giving it a go. If I'd have been consistent in maybe taking just three or so weeks a year and dedicating them to work experience, I'd have learned more or gained better placements. You learn so much from working in the industry and experience is vital in any role, especially when you begin to look for a career or a post-graduate job.

"You can do it."


If I could go back to that first week at university, the one thing I would tell myself is 'you can do it'. Gosh, I wish I knew. In first year and second year, there were times where I sat and thought "I'm never going to get a 2:1," "this is so difficult" and "am I ever going to make it to the end?" but I shouldn't have worried so much. You can do it and you will do it and looking back, maybe I was just being tough on myself.

Getting your name out there is so important and I wish I knew that three years ago. I know it may be more relevant to my degree but creating a 'professional' Twitter or Facebook page can get you a long way and is sometimes the best way to meet new people. I've picked up job opportunities, interviews and freelance work as well as met some amazing people, just via social media platforms. Obviously work experience is another key way to get your name out there but whether it's to initially find that work experience, gain you freelance opportunities or if industry professionals could refer you on to another employer, it's all worth it.

"You're the only person who can create your future."


I've always been pretty good with assignments, probably because I love being super organised and having a plan for everything. But you can never start an assignment too early. In my final year, I've been juggling work placements, a dissertation, creating a professional portfolio and varies other assignments and it's seriously stressing me out. I try to start a plan for an assignment as soon as the module guide is posted; A word document outlining the essay, a reminder to book out filming equipment, ringing people for interviews or just writing a countdown to the due date. It all helps. Assignments are so important and no one ever looks back and regrets working hard for their achievements. At the end of the day, you're the only person who can create your future.

After all of that and I'm sorry if I've stressed anyone out (it's not all that bad!)... just chill. Why shouldn't you still enjoy yourself, have fun and do what you want? I quit my job at the start of my third year and it's probably the best decision I made. Yes, I concentrate on university work five days a week but I can also enjoy myself at the weekends, say yes to evenings out and slob out in front of the TV on a Sunday. University is hard work but trust me when I say, if you put in the effort it shows. But enjoy yourself, it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, just make sure it's all worth it.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Amie Rhone. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig