Monday 24 August 2015

University tips


For most people, starting university is one of the biggest steps you'll ever take. From applying for university to your first day there, the whole procedure is stressful, challenging and exhausting.
But don't worry - it's completely worth it!

In a month's time, I'll be entering my second year of uni and really, I can't wait. Thinking back to last year and how apprehensive I was, I'm so glad I made the right decision and everything has fallen perfectly into place. 
So, for those of you heading off next month, here's my answers to some questions I have received and my tips on how to conquer those initial nerves:

Q: Can I still have a job and concentrate on my degree?

A: Yes, of course you can. Although, I waited about 4 months until I'd settled in until I got a job - make sure you can still control your work load. University sites and groups can also help you get a job with somewhere that is flexible with you, working as a student ambassador is a great way of making money while at uni.

Q: Is university a lot more difficult than school?

A: This is a tricky one - it all depends on your course and how 'difficult' you find work. Some courses are more difficult than others, some are more coursework based and some are exam heavy. It all depends on your style of learning and studying.

Q: I don't like going out and partying much, how will I make friends?

A: There's loads of ways to meet other people at uni, you don't have to go out all the time. You'll make friends on your course, in your flat and there's loads of different clubs and societies to join at every university. There really is something for everyone and it's a great way to make the most of your time at uni.

Q: I'm worried I won't like my course, who can I talk to?

A: Obviously before you start uni, you'll be nervous about everything. Make sure you give yourself enough time to try out your course and maybe, after a month, if you're still unsure then speak to a lecturer or your tutor and they'll go through all the options with you!

Q: I'm still going to be living at home and I'm worried I won't make any friends?

A: Exactly my thoughts last year! After going through clearing, I ended up at UoG where I am still living at home and honestly, I think it's worked out a lot better. I still have lots of friends at uni - just make sure you still attend at least a couple of freshers' events and get talking to people, but even if you can't, you'll make loads of friends on your course!

Q: I'm worried about moving out and living so far away.

A: You're definitely not alone on this one, it's probably the scariest thing about starting university. But don't worry - everyone is in the same position and thinking exactly the same as you. Try using Facebook to find someone in the same flat as you or on the same course as you. This way, you'll be friendly with someone on your first day and it will definitely prevent those nerves!


I hope this has helped all of you who asked and if there's something else you want to ask, feel free to email and I will answer your question in this post.
Good luck with starting uni and I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Amie Rhone. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig