Thursday 7 January 2016

Top 5 things to do in NYC


It's been a busy week this week; back to uni, more hours at work, non-stop assignments and meeting up with friends. Although, I just can't stop thinking I wish I was back in New York.

We were there for 4 great days and it felt like time had stopped while we were there, but in reality, it flew by and there is so much more I'd have loved to see and do! 
What we did do though was amazing and so I've put together a short list of my top 5 things to do when in New York:

1. Horse and Carriage ride

As cheesy as it sounds, the Central Park horse and carriage ride was definitely one of my highlights from the trip.
The 30 minute ride took us around the lower part of Central Park between 5th and 6th avenues and there were so many iconic locations that the driver pointed out to us. It was so relaxing just to take in the business of the city while riding peacefully through the park and the Christmas spirit seemed to capture the beauty of the holiday in just one ride.

2. Top of the Rock

Heading up to the top of the Rockefeller Centre on a sunny winter's day, I'm not too sure what I was expecting. But as soon as you walk out onto the 67th floor, the views hit you and they really are breathtaking. We could see absolutely everything from up there, from the Chrysler Building to the Statue of Liberty, and it was the moment for me that I realised exactly where I was.

3. Ice Skating

Ice skating at Wollman Rink was such a funny experience. I'd never actually been ice skating before and was pretty nervous as I'm so clumsy but it was definitely better than I thought. I sort of hated it but loved it at the same time and by the end, seemed to be getting a lot better, but I really did just want to come off the ice and look at the beautiful views which surround the rink and Central Park.

4. Shopping

There is honestly no point in going to New York if you dislike shopping, but fortunately, we were in our element.
The shops are absolutely huge and it's quite overwhelming (especially at Christmas when you're trying to find a gift) but once you get stuck in, you really can't stop. I was so surprised by the sales in the shops: 40% off everything, half-price sale items, even 90% off in one of the shops! We both bought so much stuff and even now, wish we'd have picked up a few more gifts and treats while we were there.

5. Central Park

I absolutely loved Central Park and it's ability to make you think you're in a completely different place.
It was especially lovely going just before Christmas with orange leaves fallen and the skyline evident through the bare trees. We saw so many iconic spots including the lake and boathouse, the Alice in Wonderland statue and the zoo. 
I'd love to go back in the summer time and cycle around Central Park, making our way further up to explore Strawberry Fields and much more of the park.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Amie Rhone. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig